5 days ago
Thursday, March 31, 2011
Homemade Vanilla
My latest homemade product is Vanilla Extract. I've read about it and decided to give it a try. Vanilla Extract is expensive in the store and this is a cheaper version with less ingredients. The recipe is simple: Vodka and vanilla beans. I was able to secure a few vanilla beans from a friend. But after this, I'll order them from a company that gets them from Madagascar! And the Vodka, well, I'm pretty sure I saw pigs flying when I was buying this ingredient. It took me a while, since I had no idea what to look for and I was unprepared for the numerous brands and bottle sizes. But I was able to get out of the store without anyone I know seeing me.
It's simple to make. Simply fill the jars with Vodka. Take your vanilla beans and split them down the middle. Stick them in the vodka and wait. And shake. And wait. And shake and wait. Well, you get the picture. My small jar of vanilla will be ready to start using in about 4 weeks . When it's half gone, I'll add more vodka and shake and wait. . . .
My helpers, who at one point had a bit of vodka on their fingers but I had them promptly wash their hands! Of course, to them, it just looked like water.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Am I the only one that didn't know vanilla extract is made with vodka?!?! Learn something new everyday...
ReplyDelete