Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Labor Day Camping

Labor Day meant a camping trip for our family. Tent camping, that is. Tent camping requires a lot of packing. We hardly had room in the van for the kids!
On our way to Iowa City, I took out our loaner camera to take a picture and it gives me an error message. Ugh! Yes, the loaner camera was out of commission for me. We stopped at University Camera in Downtown Iowa City and picked up a basic point and shoot camera. I could not be without a camera.
This is what our van looked like inside. And we had the storage unit on the top packed full. And our bikes were sent on ahead with our friends.


Eden was a pretty good supervisor of the unpacking.



It's a tug of war!


Roasting marshmallows on the first night.


Eden sticking close to Seth in the morning.

Coloring while we wait for breakfast.


Making bug hotels on Saturday.


I guess ketchup qualifies as a main dish.

Whose idea was it to take the kids on a hike?? We soon discovered that the trail was long, steep and does not loop back to where we started. Also, about the start of the trail, Eden pooped in her underwear but I didn't discover it until I put her on my shoulders!!
We walked all the way from the campground to the center P. Then we called for help!


Here we are waiting for our ride. The boys enojoyed filling their bug hotels with spiders.
Trying to hitch a ride.


We were lucky that the playground was very close to our sites.

Eliza spent most of her time there!


Just hanging out. Eden was pretty attached to the other girls' baby dolls.
Heading down to the beach.


Emmet.


Allie and Eden.

Ephraim.


Emmet, Eden, Trace, Sevanna, Allie & Ephraim.


Eliaz, Emmet, Ephraim & Eden.

The girls.

Time to head back!
And Eliza was not so happy about that decision.

"Come on, ditty."


Running to keep up.


Daddy teaching Eliza to hula-hoop??




Playing a fishing game.


Trying to get daddy to take a pacifier.


"I go playground?"



Which of these doesn't belong??

Oh, where do I start with this. If you look at the tent, you'll see multiple pants hanging from the awning. Our camping adventure came just after we got the girls potty-trained. But, the girls weren't making it to the bathroom much of the time. Too busy and too distracted. So, by Saturday evening, I'd exhausted 8 pairs of pants and 16 pairs of underwear. The pants were drying in the sun, only to be re-worn and then wet through again. Yes, the smell wasn't pretty. I had a limited supply of pull-ups for nighttime. In fact, I spent most of Saturday taking kids back and forth to the bathroom! By Saturday night, with all the soiled underwear, I was thinking that we might need to find another package of pull-ups, a laundromat or our home!
Sparkler time!






Making smores.





Sleepin' in the tent.


Eliza liked it when Trace would bump her trike.

Eden with Allie and Sevanna's baby things.

Biking was a lot of fun for the kids. And Ephraim got pretty good at it!
Still at the playground.

Waiting on breakfast.


Eden, Eliza, Sevanna & Seth

Sevanna, Levi, Emma & Emmet.

Back at the playground.

On Sunday morning, Eden threw a fit because the other girls wanted their baby things back to play with. Seth is trying to distract her.
It was also at this time that I sought out a Walgreens to alleviate the wet underwear problem by buying a package of pull-ups.

Eden, Seth and Eliza in the tunnel.


Now Emmet's on the end.
Getting their nails done.




Craft time with gumdrops and toothpicks.

Sunday afternoon, Seth was laying on the ground resting and Eden laid next to him and fell asleep.

Another craft.



Then I took my kids back to the beach for some water fun.























My favorite picture and it doesn't even have my kids in it :)

Pretending to be sea dragons.











Chillin' out in the camper.





Supper!

Under the camper. The boys were looking for bugs.

Asleep on Sunday night by 8:30. And then the wind picked up. And it got really windy! By 9:00, I said, let's go home. By 9:30, Dan said he couldn't hold onto the tent any longer. By 9:35, Seth said, let's go home. By 9:45, we managed to have all the kids, all the bedding, all our luggage and our tent packed up. We were on our way home and got home about 11:30. We heard from the park ranger at a gas station that lots of tent campers were leaving. And one site lost their tent.
We did have a great time with the kids and with our friends. See you next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment